The goal is simplify. Take away as much as possible. Get to the essence.
I'm working on the design of an icon that will represent an Online Progressive unSchool Community of Practice (OPuS CoP).
The icon should convey information that will help a student browsing OPuS CoPs get a quick sense whether this might be a CoP where they could fit in.
Information that an icon could convey about the internal goal and state of a CoP might include:
• the subject of the CoP
• the number of members
• an image conveying the subject of the CoP
• the quantity and quality of information created by the CoP members
• the rating of the CoP by its members
• the diversity of the CoP members
• the length of the time the CoP has been active